Forums

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumAll Things Davis: Davis DA-2 A/Bwing removal
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

wing removal

I may be a bit slow but, after poring over the drawings in the preview book, I still cannot tell how the wings are attached. My main issue here is that, if  the wings are build as a unit (left and right all on one continuous spar with the fuselage 'sitting' on top of it) building the plane at home will be difficult since there is no way to transport it over the road once it is fully assembled.

Can anyone here help me understand this a bit better?

Andy

Quote from andras53 on December 4, 2017, 7:30 pm

I may be a bit slow but, after poring over the drawings in the preview book, I still cannot tell how the wings are attached. My main issue here is that, if  the wings are build as a unit (left and right all on one continuous spar with the fuselage 'sitting' on top of it) building the plane at home will be difficult since there is no way to transport it over the road once it is fully assembled.

Can anyone here help me understand this a bit better?

Andy

Andy,

That is a good question.  The wing is not designed to be easily removable.  It takes several hours to remove the wing and once removed you need a dolly of some sort for the fuselage since the main gear attach to the wing spar.

There is another option.  There was a builder that designed a removable wing for the DA-2 based on the design of the Mustang 2.  This solves the problem of transportation and another problem with the length of the material needed for the main spar caps.

Attached is a file with drawings (sketches) and the calculations made by the builder that you could verify yourself if needed.

I do intend at some point in the future to use this design and continue with it into a folding wing that could potentially make the plane into an easily trailer-able take home airplane.

Hope this helps,

Bryan Cass

D2 Aircraft

Uploaded files:

Hi:

Yes, I am also interested in a folding wing design.

Doug Hilderman

Hi:

Has anyone entertained the idea of making the tail removable right behind the cockpit?  Then the nose and wings could sit on the landing gear for transport.

Doug

Hi:

I am considering the same transportation problem.  On another topic.  I want to add wing tip extensions.  Does anyone have a proven design for them?

Doug

Not sure if you mean extensions that can be removed for purpose of adding significant additional lift, or if you mean a lower-drag close-out for the end of the wing. I would be concerned that large changes of wing area at the tips could overstress the spar. The Sonex that I built uses a simple 45-degree angled tip. This does not extend the bottom wing skin at the spar at all, and extends the upper skin at the spar by the height of the spar. Supposedly this is lower drag than a squared-off wingtip, and I think they look pretty good. Not very hard to fabricate either. If/when I get moving on the Davis I've got plans for, I'm considering going with the 45-degree angled wingtip.

Hi Eric:

Thanks for the post.  The plans have a wing area of 82.5 square feet and I am planning the weight of my aircraft to be 1200 lbs for a wing loading of 14.5 lb/sq.ft.  I would like to register the aircraft as a low performance aircraft and require a wing loading of less than 13.3  lb/sq.ft.  In the documents it indicates that an additional 18" could be added to the wing span without any other changes needed.  I wanted to know the best way to extend the wings.

Thanks

Doug

Leeon did design a Whitman style trapezoidal wing tip for the Australian market to satisfy their wing loading requirements. It is just like the tips on the DA-3. I do have a copy of the drawing but it is in poor condition. I will need to scan it and do some work in the scanned file to clean it up.

The problem right now is my work schedule is very busy and everything is in disarray with doing a room addition to my house.

How soon would you need it?

Bryan

Hi Bryan:

I will be working on it this spring and summer so I don't need it right away.  Thanks for the information.  Hope the house reno works well.

Doug

Hi Bryan:

Hope your summer construction went well. Did you get a chance to look at the wing plans?  I am getting close to construction of the wings.

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

Sorry I have not replied. I just read the post and it dawned on me the difference between the DA3 and DA2. The DA3 wings were extended 18 inches on each side, but the wing is longer from the leading to trailing edge. The trapezoidal extension uses the same rib for the end of the DA3 as the DA2 wing. If you were wanting to extend the DA2 wing, you would have to extend the main spar, and either use the same outer rib, or if you want it trapezoidal you would have to design your own smaller ribs.

Hi Bryan:

Thanks for the note.  I really only need 9" per side equaling 18" total additional wingspan to get the area I need.  I already have the spar completed.  On plan 2201 part -4 it describes the spar extension.  I plan to add an additional 9"in a horner tip design.  That way I don't need any more ribs.  Does this make sense?

Thanks

Doug