Forums

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumAll Things Davis: Davis DA-2 A/BStall Speed
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Stall Speed

Budd Davidson has a warm place in his heart for the DA2.  The says flies like a Cherokee140 only more nimble.   A 140 stalls are 48 dirty over the fence approaches would be 55-60knotts.  I recall the DA2 stalls about 57knots.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  If I am not are there proven ways to slow it down?

Regards

Matt

Quote from TosaDA2 on January 1, 2018, 1:52 pm

Budd Davidson has a warm place in his heart for the DA2.  The says flies like a Cherokee140 only more nimble.   A 140 stalls are 48 dirty over the fence approaches would be 55-60knotts.  I recall the DA2 stalls about 57knots.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  If I am not are there proven ways to slow it down?

Regards

Matt

Matt,

The stall is in the 57-60 mph range. Don't know of any proven ways to slow it down but is known to handle very well landing at those speeds.

Leeon Davis believed that to get efficiency, speed and lite weight in his designs that he needed to keep the wing area small with high wing loading.  In the same line he did not include flaps to keep the plane lite and simple.

Bryan Cass

D2 Aircraft

Mine stalls a little bit faster (60-65 MPH) when power-off, however when landing once I settle into ground effect and pull deep into the flare, I think I get much slower on that fat cushion of air. To be honest I haven't looked directly at the airspeed indicator while greasing down the landings but I would be interested to know what speed I actually touch down at.

On this note, I am searching for some performance data on the DA-2A. Specifically, all the "v speeds" and a drag polar if anybody has one. Otherwise I will set up a test plan and fly to figure them all out. My DA-2A is 740 lbs dry, with O-200A engine, and no fancy pants or fairings, if anyone has one similarly configured.