Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Has anyone substituted blind rivers for the specified solid rivers?

My calculations indicate that if I increase the diameter from 1/8” to 5/32” and double the number of rivers per inch I will have the same tensile and shear strength. Has anyone substituted blind for solid rivets in their project?

Doug

Doug,

Are you a member of the Yahoo group da2a group? The blind rivets subject has been discussed there. I remember someone mentioned a builder had used them on his project, and it looked really nice.

Norm P.

Doug, if you use 1/8 cherry max they should be equal to AN470AD4. I allways wondered about the aerospacial trinadad, tampico, and tabogo, they seem to use avex rivits throughout

Hi:

Thanks for the information.  In one of the articles it recommends to do the calculations yourself and choose a rivet and spacing to match the strength originally specified.  I am going to use a variety of products where the need presents.  Mostly AVEX 1661-0512 (5/32" rivets) and use 1.6 times the number of rivets specified.  This will give me the same strength It's not so easy to buck rivets by yourself.

I am installing a stainless steel firewall.  Due to corrosion between dis similar metals I will use stainless steel rivets to hold the firewall to the aluminum fuselage.  Is this acceptable or is there a better way?

Doug

Doug,

I live in eastern North Carolina. If you are close, I can help you with the riveting.

Norm

Hi Norm:

Thanks for the offer.  My google map says we are 3136 km apart.  It's best I find someone a little closer.

Thanks

Doug