Forums

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumAll Things Davis: Davis DA-3DA-3 Plans
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

DA-3 Plans

To All,

I am working on a potential source for drawings for the DA-3.  The DA-3 is really just a modified DA-2 with the cabin extended with an additional bulkhead and the wing changed to a longer cord and extended with trapezoidal wing tips. The tail cone and instrument panel forward remain the same as the DA-2.

These modifications were designed to make the plane into a 3-4 place aircraft.  In reality I think it would really be more of a 2+2 configuration.  The cord is nearly 25% longer allowing for more lift and a greater section thickness making the spar substantially stronger.

I do not currently have performance figures for the DA-3 but with the bigger wing, it may be possible to get this into the LSA category.

It will be at least several months but chack back here for updates.

Bryan Cass

D2 Aircraft

I’m intrigued.

What engine (hp) would be appropriate for a DA- 3?  I’m guessing an 0-320 or 0-300 would be max.

I’ll be watching for updates; after years of waiting for the right time to start building (I suggest that is a bad practice) i’m now retired and faced with the now or never situation.  I’ve got a library  Of plans but . . . . . The DA-3 sure looks interesting.

Quote from G.Schmidt on March 23, 2018, 9:17 am

I’m intrigued.

What engine (hp) would be appropriate for a DA- 3?  I’m guessing an 0-320 or 0-300 would be max.

I’ll be watching for updates; after years of waiting for the right time to start building (I suggest that is a bad practice) i’m now retired and faced with the now or never situation.  I’ve got a library  Of plans but . . . . . The DA-3 sure looks interesting.

The only two DA-3's ever built including mine have the continental O-200. I don't think you would want to go much heavier on the nose.

Hope you get to building. Never too old to start.

More updates to follow. Had to install an electrical system in the plane. Once that is done and the transponder signed off, I can get to some flight testing.

Random DA-3 thoughts (not necessarily coherent) =>

1. How about a tail Draeger set up?   Why?  Because that is what I learned in and it appeals to me but I'll claim it reduces weight and drag.   How? "Flip" the main gear to the other side of the spar and have the gear angles forward.  And? Well it might require stiffening the tail cone.

2. Lean toward a higher aspect ratio wing for . . . . . Well, I think that it could contribute to improves cruise performance (range at higher density altitude.). It would not be about speed.

3.  The 3-piece wing is attractive.

4. 2+2 configuration is attractive.

5.  Will there be a DA3B?

6. Are you considering offering full sets of plans or "supplements" to the DA2 plans?

7. Thoughts on above or timing?

Quote from G.Schmidt on April 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Random DA-3 thoughts (not necessarily coherent) =>

1. How about a tail Draeger set up?   Why?  Because that is what I learned in and it appeals to me but I'll claim it reduces weight and drag.   How? "Flip" the main gear to the other side of the spar and have the gear angles forward.  And? Well it might require stiffening the tail cone.

2. Lean toward a higher aspect ratio wing for . . . . . Well, I think that it could contribute to improves cruise performance (range at higher density altitude.). It would not be about speed.

3.  The 3-piece wing is attractive.

4. 2+2 configuration is attractive.

5.  Will there be a DA3B?

6. Are you considering offering full sets of plans or "supplements" to the DA2 plans?

7. Thoughts on above or timing?

1. Tail dragger? Might be fun, not sure how spring rod gear legs will do leading rather than trailing. This is experimental aviation and making it your own is a good thing, just please make sure to make it safe. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt!!!

2. Higher aspect ratio wing would be a good thing but then it wouldn't be a Davis. Please do not extend the wings without an engineer working out the numbers on the spar loads.

3. The 3 piece wing does have a nice look. That was a result of the folding wing design the builder used. Only one that I know of.

4. 2+2 is nice but need to be careful there. I just tested a flight with 120lbs in the back seat and 470lbs in the front two seats. Still very controllable but poor climb performance and uses up the down trim.  I need to loose some weight!!!

5. No intention of modifying the design, it looks good and is plenty light the way it is. But then again, it is experimental aviation.

6. I will not be making all new drawings anytime soon. The DA-3 drawings will be supplemental to the original DA-2 drawings. Maybe redraw at some point in the future if there is enough interest.

7. Hope to be able to start on drawing sometime soon.  Before I do, I want to flight test to get all the performance numbers to see if there are any obvious changes needed. Prior to flight testing I need to change out the prop as the one on the plane is heavy (metal) and does not perform well. I also need to do a new weight and balance to establish a baseline.

Working as fast as my time and budget allows. In the nearly two months I have had the plane I have installed a complete electrical system (battery, alternator, master relay, and starter) transponder, radio and had to replace altimeter and airspeed due to leaks in very old instruments.

I replaced the instruments with a Garmin G5. Great way to go, you get a full EFIS for the price of an altimeter and airspeed indicator.

The panel is looking a bit like Frankenstein at this point. It will just have to stay that way until I get the testing and drawings done.

BC

Bryan - checking to see how the DA-3 efforts are progressing.

Some random thoughts/questions (which just show my lack of understanding) =>

1.  Stalls and spins - ever been done in the DA2 or DA3?

2.  Aileron authority (especially in a stall situation) ~ what is done to insure that the aileron’s are effective until the bitter end.   I have a fuzzy memory/understanding that some aircraft change airfoils and/or angle of attack to make sure that the outer part of the wing stalls last.

3.  How are you enjoying the DA-3>

Regards, Gordon

(I seem to foolishly have missed a “sale” on plans and review book.  Oh well, dreams are not contingent on the lowest price.)

Hi Gordon,

Stalls yes, spins I don't know of anyone performing spins and I would not recommend it. This aircraft is not designed for aerobatics.

The ailerons have great authority in very slow flight, wouldn't want to use them all the way into a stall, good way to end up in a spin.

Loving the DA-3, my wife is really enjoying it too. Lots of baggage space, and carries both of us (we are a bit on the heavy side) bags and my wife's folding mobility scooter (55 pounds).

Still have more testing to do. I have been waiting on a new prop then need to do a new W&B so I can get real world numbers for the DA-3.

And you are not foolish. I should have realized people would be very busy with Oshkosh, so I have extended the sale through Sunday 8/5.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Bryan

I hope the DA3 is still exceeding expectations and exciting the imagination.  This email is to check with you on the latest developments in the DA3.   I expect that you are very busy with work, life, and all the other demands that life can throw at us.  That said, can you share some details about the DA3, I.e.:

1.Both the empty and gross weights

2. Some additional information about where the addibulkhead station is located and how that relates tot he wing spar.

I’m looking at DA2 information and  trying to guesstimate final configurationsfor the DA3. . . . . . Thank you in advance.

Gordon Schmidt

Hi Gordon,

You are correct, life has been very busy. I have been working on a room addition project that I actually pulled the permits for before getting involved with the Davis aircraft. I have been so distracted by playing with airplanes that I have not gotten much done with the house. I need to get the room addition (at least the shell) complete or my wife is going to get rid of (or kill) me. The only saving grace for me is she likes to fly.

The additional bulkhead is built very similar to the bulkhead at the aft of the DA-2 cabin. In fact the DA-3 has the very same bulkhead. The additional bulkhead is located approximately 14 inches forward of that and is at the aft end of the door. The door is also approximately 8.5 inches longer than the DA-2 making it much easier to enter and exit the plane.

The spar is located about 5-6 inches aft of the DA-2 spar as viewed from the bulkhead at the instrument panel.

The aileron controls are also different to allow for a clear floor area behind the seats.

See photos below:

Uploaded files:
  • 20171028_150328.jpg
  • 20180109_093903.jpg